Saturday, January 31, 2009

Re: comments and contacts

So, how about someone commenting besides my own (smart-aleck) kids?  If google registration is a hassle, use the email address in the upper right.

I managed to email someone from my old high school class this week.  He managed to escape from Whitehall to Arizona.  He happened to mention that he discovered another 'classmate' has composed music when he helped his daughter do some research for an assignment.  I hit the google and found this man is an instructor and a composer-in-residence in South Carolina.  Nobody knew this at my 25th class reunion in 1996.

My son Thomas phoned tonight, and I mentioned this person to him since they were both trumpet players in high school band.  (Thomas actually pulled down a music minor in college, and sings with a church choir.)  After he scanned google on his computer, he had one thing to say:  "If you get ahold of him, Mom, would you ask if he knows Robert W. Smith?"  

Have you seen this yet, Jon? :)  I think you'd like my son, if you don't already have one like him.

For those of you not in the know,  Smith is a prolific composer of band music frequently inflicted on high school band students of Tom's age, just as James Ployhar was such a composer when I was in band 38 years ago.   

I am a band-o, the daughter of a band-o, and mother of a band-o.  Band-o's Rule!  (This was my reply to an orchestra kid who said "band-os s*ck" when I was substitute teaching.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment