Thursday, January 29, 2009

Recipes welcome

I did name this 'cheesesteak' and 'shoofly pie'.  And I am a recipe collecting junkie.  I would welcome any contribution of vegan recipes in the Orthodox Christian fasting (lent) style.  Since my husband interprets the guidelines strictly - no vegetable oils, and everyone has to eat the same way he does. On the other hand my youngest loathes all vegetables except string beans and spaghetti sauce.  So I have war in the kitchen.   Kathy or Nikki, help?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear... prayer sounds like it might be the most helpful thing I can offer. :D

    Because of pregnancy we're not actively using a lot of those recipes, so I would have to dig them up - not to mention that Daniel and I tend to go off-recipe for most things. Let me think on it a bit. We've also never interpreted the oil prohibition as going beyond olive, so that's a tricky detail.

    Off the top of my head, one of my favorite vegany dishes is tortilla soup (which can be made without dairy/meat/oil toppings). I imagine you can get around softening the onions, etc., in oil by microwaving them. Avocado would provide some healthy fat, and you can always add black beans for some extra protein and flavor. This might make a good starting point: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Tortilla-Soup/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete