Friday, March 6, 2009

One busy day

My computer school had a 'workshop' for resume, job search, and interview skills scheduled for today. I figured my information in that sector dated back to the dark ages, when women weren't supposed to reveal marital status for fear of being shut out of a job "because you'll quit to have babies and never be back". Plus my past and current job searches were duds. So I signed up. Then my instructors told all the students that they could bring friends. My mind jumped to some job searchers I know..."Maryrose, how about my daughters?"

They actually got up for this workshop. (Now we'll hear it from Bob about why they can't always get up for church. :P ) We ran on Frantz Standard Time, aka 10 minutes late, but since there were traffic problems on US 202 the presentation was right in synch with us. It got down to business after coffee, cookies, coke, soft pretzels, and bottled water.

Karin led off with the seminar on resume writing. First, the reverse chronological history I learned in high school was OUT. Highlight strengths with action verbs; don't mention negatives - there's no law compelling it; and disclosing gaps in employment are still the kiss of death. (Face it, someone my age with a continuous employment history has either never been married, never had children, or had a very understanding husband or mother around for child care. I was not fortunate enough to have had close child care.) Maria actively participated in question and answer, in contrast to her sisters. The discussion was summarized with the statements "Your resume is NOT your autobiography" or "The Great American Novel" - would its headline be "Stuff I used to do" or "Look what I can do!"

After a break, Maryrose demonstrated a sample online job search site: selecting keywords to limit searches (2000+ entries?!??), mileage radius limiters, and going into company websites to find information and employment applications. Even then, she recommended dropping off a resume live and in person over an electronic/email submission.

Karin returned with her own take on online searches: don't make them a be-all and end-all in the search. Introducing oneself and inquiring if any local companies are hiring is a better form of networking than 'being lucky enough to know someone'. Then she dug thoroughly into preparation for an interview.

This is the part that leaves "back in the day" in the dust. Research the company, research your financial needs and goals, research the problem areas in your experience and rehearse answers for them. Consider yourself under scrutiny from the minute you enter the parking lot - you may be coming up on the elevator with the person interviewing you! Respect the receptionist...s/he may be telling the boss what sort of uptight person you were in the waiting room. Karin even stated that this was a good time for silent prayer, to put the matter into the Lord's hands. As you are questioned, listen.
The point that got my attention was the question, "Do you have any other questions?" The interviewer's hope is for you to divulge information that can be used against you. (Not that many people got this.) Your defense is to restate information you heard in the interview, to shape your impression of the company and their impression of you.

I must admit, I was never a practitioner of the thank-you for the interview note. I was always under the impression that one would be offered the job at the interview, or within the week. The only time I heard back directly on a job - in my life - is the Honey Brook Library calling me to give me the turn down live and with a follow-up letter within the week, last year. I guess I felt too burned on rejection to consider that a prospective employer would keep me on tap for a second choice. Gotta get the bipolar in gear on that.

After the workshop, the girls thought that they would be picking up our girl cats at the vet, where they were to be spayed. The girls were fortunate in that the vet they picked from the local SPCA list had a vet tech who lives 3 doors down from us. And we didn't know it!! (And Rachel has vocally thanked God for this 'coincidence'.) This person recognized the cats and offered the girls the low income/feral cat price for the shots and surgery. However, the vet had a problem with a cat with an eye infection, and our cats had not yet been spayed. The office said that this tech would bring the cats home with her tomorrow.

Then Anne fell asleep in the car, saying she felt off. I had to take Maria and Rachel to the barn, where they were too late to ride, but not too late to work. So Bob wanted to eat supper when we got back, and not go to Shady Maple Farm Market/Good's Store in Amish country. Drat. I wanted to go. We were out of high-gluten bread flour, and during Lent we eat a loaf of my homemade bread a day. Shady Maple also has the best produce prices in Lancaster or Chester County.

I just hope the poop doesn't hit the fan when Bob finds out the cats were spayed. He still begrudges the girls the price of the cat food, and they buy it out of their barn work money at wholesale warehouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment