Saturday, February 14, 2009

First Week of Computer School

Last Tuesday was my first day at Full Circle Computing. My counselor, Brian, had said that state-funded training would rather do business with trade schools than community colleges. One, to avoid federal paperwork, for example FAFSA; and two, to fit into budget constraints, only a $4500 grant is given.

When I had taken Windows 98 at Saddleback (Community) College 10 years ago, different conditions applied. The class was held in a lecture room holding 100 people. The instructor projected the moves on a screen behind her. Bob and I shared a book-and since he was getting his class paid for by his employer (the same Saddleback College), he felt the book was college property and did not write in it, bring it home often, willingly share it, and left it in his office after the class was over. (This caused me to beg, plead, whine, and cross-examine Thomas a lot, since these things seem to come naturally to him.) And finally, I (we) had to sign up for computer lab time. A lot of the lecture flushed out of my brain with all the cooking, dishes, and homework help in the intervening time, and there were 4 proctors for a big room of 50 or more people. I believe I owe more to my son for knowing how to operate Windows.

Now at Full Circle, the lecture room IS the lab. My first day was in a room with 7 computers in it. Only one other student was in my room for the day! I had also wondered if I would be the oldest student in the place - maybe, but my instructor admitted to having 4 children 20 - 28 and being a neighbor of one of Bob's cousins. She had the rearmost setup, linked to a big monitor in the front. As she pulled up start, clicked buttons, dropped down menus, etc. she could see what we were doing and could individually guide us. Each course has its own book, written by the staff, in which we are free to write and highlight - they even throw in the highlighter.

And they spend the full day immersed in a course. Tuesday was Intro To PC; Wednesday was Intro to Word 2007; and Friday was Word 2007 Intermediate. i only have 2 gripes: one, is that my bum leg is acting up; and two, is that Word 2007 totally revamped its user interface and I can't practice with Word 2004 at home!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like your new class is exactly the sort that will actually be conducive to learning. I enjoyed the ability to sort of disappear into the crowd in some of my huge lecture classes at UCLA, but there is really something to be said for class sizes small enough that you can't get lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    I'm a student at Saddleback and CSUF, and I'm on the newspaper staff (online editor, www.lariatnews.com) for the student-run publication. I'm also the mother of two teens, one also a college student.

    I love your blog! Keep on writing and making me giggle... you may be learning your MS Word skills, but your writing is on the money.

    A Mission Viejo Mom and student

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lariat Budget,
    Been there....my oldest has A.S. from Saddleback, and I'm wondering if he got into CSUF to finish degree. Oldest daughter has certificate in Fashion Design, but finding it hard to break in. (See 1st post in January.) I have 27 SC credits myself, but they're mostly personal interests (Go Michigan State).

    I got connected to this via a friend who also used to live in the area, now she's in NC, and her blog is for keeping family back in OC connected.

    BTW, if you ever have computer problems, may I recommend my son. He lives in Santa Ana - and could sure use the money. :)

    ReplyDelete