Friday, May 22, 2009

Thanks, Lord, for today

Today dawned bright and sunny. I was scheduled to take the last computer class today, and I actually got up before the alarm. I had enough time to negotiate with Verizon to lower the price on our DSL after breakfast. Got a break, too. Rachel was up to help me put stuff in the car and I got off on time. The commute was a little thicker on the traffic than I had experienced before, but I still got there on time.

With a one-on-one with the instructor, I cruised through the MS Excel class. The beginning was shaky, but once I woke up.. :) I finished the class an hour ahead of the time normally allotted to it. (This accommodates multiple students' questions.) I received certificates for finishing the class and the total course, filled out a course review, and said goodbye. I'll still be in touch by email.

Since the school is 13 miles from home (in the opposite direction from Paradise - see post on art) and I had the car, Bob expected me to shop my way home. Considering I only had 5 dollars cash and some change, this took some planning. First to Produce Junction, a fruit, vegetable, and flower wholesaler 1 1/2 miles away. Three heads of green leaf lettuce and 3 pounds of carrots came to $2.75. Then to the Dollar Tree store for the county newspaper, 75 cents. Check out BJ's Wholesale (local Costco competitor) to see if the 2# burger chubs were near expiration date. No luck, try next week.

So I had 3 greenbacks left - used the change on the paper and the veggies - so I considered rye bread at Acme (local Albertsons). I didn't find our favorite unsliced caraway light rye on the shelves, so I went to the bakery to ask for some. The baker had it, but she tagged it at a price 50 cents higher than the sale price on the shelf sign. I pointed this out, and got the break. So I had one dollar left for white bread for the girls' PB&J. Over to Giant, where I had a question on a previous shopping trip.

I didn't get a break on the other trip - a double coupon contention - but I found the house brand soft Italian bread on sale for a buck. Home, do-it-yourself supper (the girls were still at the barn), and fall asleep with my feet up in my recliner.

Classes done and some good financial deals for today. The organic horse fertilizer may hit the fan tomorrow, but Lord, thank you for all the good things of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment